Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken for Dinner?

My cousin Dara and I left at 9 this morning for a seemingly uneventful meeting with an organization that does home-based care and provides services for orphan children. We met with three people to discuss their program, then took a tour of one of the care centers based here in Chimoio. The outdoor tour was short. It included the gardens, a bread oven, and a chicken coup, and we soon piled into the truck to return home. That's when the uneventful morning took a turn toward the hilarious.

As we piled into the truck, one of the groundscrew came toward us with a chicken hanging upside-down. My first thought? Oh great, I'm going to be riding in the back seat with a dead chicken on the floor. But as she came closer I saw that the chicken was definitely alive. And it was coming into our car pronto. Before we knew what was happening, the chicken was passed by its legs to Clara in the front seat ... then to Dara in the driver's seat ... then to me in the back seat. All I could think as this was happening was, Are you kidding me? And Dara and I busted out laughing. Dara was well aware that I'd never held a chicken in my life, let alone a chicken upside-down. She promptly told the crew with us that it was mi primera vez, "my first time," and they busted into laughter as well. After a few minutes we were calm enough again for me to ask what on earth I do with it now. The crew kindly wrapped a plastic bag around its bum to catch any droppings and placed it in the back of the Bighorn (SUV). Dara asked who it was for and they confirmed that, yes, it was for her. A chicken gift. It was quite generous and we would be remiss not to accept it. Another chicken quickly came into the car in the front seat, but we soon figured out that that one was for Clara.

As Dara and I drove home, we wondered what on earth we were going to do with this chicken. Obviously, the intent was to kill it, pluck it, skin it, and cook it for dinner. But this city girl wasn't exactly up for that challenge. Neither was Dara. I suggested we get a rooster. Wouldn't fresh eggs be delicious in the morning? But that added responsibility was quickly vetoed! The next best thing, we decided, was to give it to Jose, the guard who watches Dara's property at night. He would certainly appreciate it more than we would—and would need it more as well. So after some pictures with our feathery friend, Jose put it in the garage for safekeeping until amanha, "tomorrow." And thus ended the chicken extravaganza.

Bon appetite, Jose.

Chicken, anyone?

Getting a handle on this chicken!

Jose and me and the feathery friend.

Jose, Dara, and Nede.

Dara and Nede.

4 comments:

  1. Always a new adventure! So great you are there with Dara to laugh and experience this with her!! Love the pictures! Praying for your time there to be so special Jessica, and blessings over you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A city girl indeed! You don't need a rooster to get eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I have a lot to learn! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked with Dara at Hospice of the Valley in AZ for awhile. Please tell her I said Hello. What a wonderful adventure you're having!

    ReplyDelete