Wednesday, March 9, 2011

my name Jessica is.

Friends, I am finally here. After a (beautiful) detour in Africa, I arrived safely in Nepal last week and have spent the last week getting to know the city, the people, the food, and you guessed it—the language. I am on Day 3 of Nepali language learning and have gotten a healthy dose of language overload already. I am ready to ask all my students back home, Is this what your brain feels like every day?

Anyone who has learned a new language will tell you that laughter is pretty much a necessity in language class. I had a good laugh yesterday as we neared the end of Day 2 of language learning. We were working on some new words and I was still trying to comprehend the syntax (word order) while remembering the word meanings when my teacher Chalita asked me a question. I don't remember the question but I'm quite sure it was a simple one. Unfortunately, though, my brain had already shut down. I was at a point where I was visibly confused and my response was a classic blank stare. Try to picture the confusion and dismal composure at this point. I looked at her—and I had nothing.

Now Chalita is a good teacher. She is challenging yet patient and encouraging. She looked at me and quite sweetly asked in Nepali, What is your name? Ah, relief. Now this was one question I could answer! I felt humbled ... a bit like a victim of amnesia with a psychiatrist probing my memory to see if I could answer the simplest of questions. What is your name? I laughed. She laughed. And my confidence grew as I answered. mero naam Jessica ho. Yes. My name Jessica is. This I know.


Stepping into a new land feels a bit like language learning sometimes. It's one step at a time, and it's humbling to be in a position where I don't know the ins and outs of everyday life. I'm learning it's OK to ask questions, OK to be uncertain about tomorrow, and OK to rely on many people to help me every day. I am sure there will be many more laughs to come, especially in language learning. In the meantime, I'll stick with what I know and rely on God's grace to keep teaching me and humbling me with each new day.

Verse of the day: In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

1 comment:

  1. HI Jess what amazing!!!! good luck in your learning experience...You have to teach me something when you come back.

    We miss you here but I am so glad you are having a wonderful trip.

    The snow is melting for these days.

    caro

    ReplyDelete